November 17 @ 11:00 am - 3:00 pm PST
Join the 3,000 plus visitors who come out to the Hyde Creek Watershed to celebrate and witness the return of thousands of salmon back to their birthplace to lay and fertilize their eggs. Spawning time is the end of these Coho & Chum salmon’s lifespan and the beginning of the next generation.
This FREE family event provides visitors of all ages the opportunity to observe salmon up close and learn about their life cycle through educational displays, salmon dissections and in-stream demonstrations. Come out for a day of exploring, experiencing and learning about the salmon and wildlife in a fish-bearing watershed.
In tribute to the Festival’s 20th Anniversary, the Hyde Creek Watershed Society is hosting a back to our roots event being held solely at the Hatchery this year. The focus will be sharing the salmon enhancement process, environmental challenges and stewardship efforts that impact the health of Hyde Creek and our local watershed.
Location for the Festival is The Hyde Creek Education Centre & Hatchery at 3636 Coast Meridian Road, in Port Coquitlam. Parking is limited so choose to use our bicycle and buggy valet by donation, walk or ride public transit to Bus Stop # 58787
Highlights of the Festival will include:
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada displaying live salmon (up close!)
- Orphaned Wildlife Society (OWL) exhibiting a live Raptor
- Salmon dissections and microscope investigations
- Home Depot build project
- Face painting, cookie decorating, crafts and raffle table located upstairs in the education centre
- Look for local flora and fauna on a guided nature walk
- Visit an operating salmon hatchery
- Free and secured Bicycle parking
- Raffle table
- 18 Environmentally motivated Exhibitors
- Fund raising BBQ at the Hatchery this year
Special thanks to our Corporate Sponsors: City of Port Coquitlam, BIA Port Coquitlam, Fortis BC, Port of Vancouver, Vancity Port Coquitlam and In-kind Sponsors: A&A Tarps, Starbucks For more information on the work done by the Hyde Creek Watershed Society, visit their website at www.hydecreek.org. To request a group tour email email@example.com.
- November 17
11:00 am - 3:00 pm
3636 Coast Meridian Road
Port Coquitlam BC