Recipe from: Oh My Sugar High
French Toast Ingredients
- 1 loaf French bread 13 to 16 ounces
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
Praline Topping Ingredients
- 1- 1/2 sticks butter room temperature or softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Maple Syrup
Generously butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Slice French bread into 20 slices 1 inch slices. Arrange slices in 2 rows, overlapping the slices in baking dish. (Cutting the bread on the bias would make them interlock a bit better...)
In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs, then add half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture.
Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices to make sure that each piece is evenly coated.
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all Praline Topping ingredients in medium bowl and blend well.
Spread evenly on top of french toast.
Bake for 50 minutes to get it puffed up and golden brown. Serve with maple syrup.