VanDusen Botanical Garden
|VanDusen Botanical Garden||website|
General Information:click for larger images
For information on the Garden and its programs the public can call the 24-hour information line 604-878-9274 or during office hours (Mon - Fri. 9 - 4:30) you can call the Admin Reception Desk at 604-257-8666.
The garden is located in the heart of Vancouver at 5251 Oak Street at the corner of 37th Ave, between Oak & Granville Streets. Travel time by car or bus from downtown Vancouver or Vancouver International Airport is 10 minutes.
In 1910, this site was an isolated acreage of stumps and bush. It was owned by the Canadian Pacific Railway and was leased by the Shaughnessy Golf Club from 1911 until 1960 when the golf club moved to a new location. The railway proposed a subdivision, but was opposed by many citizens. In 1966, the VanDusen Botanical Garden Association was formed to assist the Vancouver Park Board with saving the site. This effort was successful and the land was purchased with shared funding from the City of Vancouver, the Government of British Columbia and the Vancouver Foundation with a donation by W. J. VanDusen, after whom the Garden was named.