Recipe by: Kristine's Kitchen
4 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/4 cup
1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup milk dairy, almond, etc.
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 large baking apple chopped (1 1/2 cups, no need to peel)
- Melt the butter in a large bowl in the microwave. If you do not have a microwave, melt it on the stove.
- Add the remaining wet ingredients to the bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients, except for the whole wheat flour, to the bowl. Whisk to combine well.
- Mix in the flour using a rubber spatula. Stop mixing when the flour is not quite mixed in.
- Mix in the apples, being careful not to over-mix the batter. When making muffins you want to mix until just combined for the best texture.
- Scoop the batter into greased muffin pans and bake.
You can serve these muffins warm from the oven or at room temperature. If you freeze them, let them defrost at room temperature for about an hour. You can also defrost them in your microwave using low power or the defrost setting.
Serve these healthy apple muffins plain or spread with almond butter or peanut butter. For breakfast, add a piece of fruit and yogurt or a Instant Pot hard boiled egg to round out the meal.